Slade rocked the ’70s like nobody’s fool. Of course, they weren’t everybody’s cup of tea (but who was?). Needless to say, much of the UK were fans, helping to propel Slade singles right to the top of the UK charts, one right after the other. In the US, they were enjoyed by a dedicated group of fans. I was one of them. So, my ears always perk up when I read about a Slade reissue or box.
This particular boxed set is a little different than just being underwritten by labels. This Box is a fan-financed project being organized by Salvo Records in the UK. As such, fans of the US, Canada, and Japan are unable to acquire a box, largely due to original label licensing and requirements (what a muddied water licensing is). HOWEVER, there seems to be alternatives as SpinCD (UK) has listed them as an accessible set to pre-order on their website (here).
On November 27, Salvo Records will make their When Slade Rocked The World 1971-1975 vinyl Box available. Here’s what to expect for the set (and it looks great):
• 4 x vinyl LPs (Slade Alive!, Slayed?, Old New Borrowed and Blue,(Stomp Your Hands, Clap Your Feet in the US) and Slade In Flame) reproduced in their original sleeves, remastered for optimum sound and pressed on 180g-weight colored vinyl (see track listings below)
• 4 x double sided picture sleeve singles covering the key hits released outside of the key albums –
‘Coz I Love You’ / ‘Look Wot You Dun’
‘Take Me Bak ‘Ome‘ / ‘Cum On Feel The Noize’
‘Skweeze Me Pleeze Me’ / ‘Merry Xmas Everybody’
‘The Bangin’ Man’ / ‘Thanks For The Memory’
• 2 CD collection of the audio on the four vinyl LPs (Slade Alive!, Slayed?, Old New Borrowed and Blue and Slade In Flame)
• Reproduction of an original vinyl flexidisc, Slade Talk To ‘19’ Readers
• 10” annual style hardback book featuring reviews, features and memorabilia from each of the key years along with an introduction by Mark Ellen
• Reproduction of George Tremlett’s excellent 1975 Slade book The Slade Story including period interviews with all four band members and a chronology of tour and release dates up to the time of its publication.
• All presented in a sturdy 12” box with foam fitment
Fans, keep your fingers tightly crossed that you’re able to secure a set for your own library.