There are few individuals who have helmed some of Rock’s legendary band incarnations that garner as much intense visitation as Jerry Garcia has received. The Grateful Dead is today revered as one of the great Rock bands in the history of the style. And so it’s without surprise that given the intensity that Garcia visited upon his search for great music, there are still albums being introduced that bear his involvement.
On May 11, Caroline Records will release a 4CD collection of early, pre-Grateful Dead music assembled from wherever they were recorded. This Jerry Garcia – Before The Dead box will contain 84 songs that find Jerry Garcia exploring Folk music in a variety of venues including a birthday party.
With this set, one would be able to fit within the musical soul of Garcia and sense his evolution to what would become one of Rock’s greatest stories.
As an extra note: there are two Grateful Dead packages readying for release. The first is from Real Gone Music and is called Grateful Dead: Road Trips, Vol. 4 , No. 2 April Fools’ ’88, which is scheduled for June 1.
The other is a 140g-weight black vinyl 5LP reproduction of Cornell 5/8/77 slated for reissue on May 8 (date-released as a sort of respect and celebration of the historic date itself).
Before The Dead – Jerry Garcia
02. I Got A Home In That Rock
03. Oh, Mary Don’t You Weep
05. I Was Born Ten Thousand Years Ago
06. Traditional: Blow The Candles Out
07. Rake And A Rambling Boy
11. Down In The Willow Garden
04. Hold That Woodpile Down
05. Legend Of The Johnson Boys
08. Man Of Constant Sorrow
13. Traditional: Standing In The Need Of Prayer
17. Clinch Mountain Backstep
18. Think Of What You’ve Done
20. All The Good Times Have Past And Gone
21. Billy Grimes, The Rover
22. Paddy On The Turnpike – Boys, My Money’s All Gone
25. Sitting On Top Of The World
01. Roll In My Sweet Baby’s Arms
03. Traditional: Standing In The Need Of Prayer
05. Saturday Night Shuffle
06. Pike County Breakdown
08. We Shall Not Be Moved
13. The Man That Wrote That Home Sweet Home Never Was A Married Man
14. Foggy Mountain Top
02. She’s More To Be Pitied
04. Who Will Sing For Me?
06. Monroe’s Hornpipe – Jody’s Hornpipe
08. John Hardy/Closing Theme
11. Paddy On The Turnpike – Boys, My Money’s All Gone
13. Traditional: Sourwood Mountain
15. Homestead On The Farm – I Wonder How The Old Folks Are At Home
18. Love Please Come Home
19. Make Me A Pallet On The Floor
25. Medley: Devil’s Dream–Sailor’s Hornpipe