Long time readers already know about my pickiness when it comes to Bruce Springsteen. In essence, I call the first five albums as pure as you can get an album, with Born To Run being a big runner in the Best Rock Album Ever sweepstakes. For me, it is. When we get to The River, I begin to despair. I believe that the album would have been perfect as a one album release. From there, I have my moments where Springsteen is concerned. Many of you (you know who you are), think of me as insane. While that may be so, the fact remains, I hope for the best when it comes from Springsteen. It is my belief that money corrupts the flow. (And NO, I do not begrudge him his money and fame. I’m saddened that they ate into his creative process that makes us relate to him. but enough about this. He has a new album coming out.
On September 23, Columbia Records will release CD, DD, and vinyl LP of his next set, Chapter And Verse. Now, this is a different beast than being new music. It is meant as a companion piece to his upcoming autobiography (Born to Run – September 27). On it will be eighteen tracks, some of which you’re familiar with (see track list below). However, what can make this set a desirable one is the fact that there will be five previously unreleased tracks on it. And not just any unreleased tracks. These will be songs from before his signing with Columbia Records. Two of the songs are from his time with The Castiles, his teen band.
And so, yes, I’m VERY excited to hear this on release. I’m guessing you are too.
Chapter And Verse – Bruce Springsteen
01. Baby I – The Castiles
02. You Can’t Judge a Book by the Cover – The Castiles
03. He’s Guilty (The Judge Song) – Steel Mill
04. The Ballad of Jesse James – The Bruce Springsteen Band
05. Henry Boy
06. Growin’ Up (album version)
07. 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)
08. Born to Run
09. Badlands (2010 remastered version)
10. The River
11. My Father’s House (album version)
12. Born in the U.S.A.
13. Brilliant Disguise (album version)
14. Living Proof (album version)
15. The Ghost of Tom Joad (album version)
16. The Rising
17. Long Time Comin’ (album version)
18. Wrecking Ball